Sunday, March 1, 2009

PJ's Birthday Celebrations

Since we live practically next door to Hollywood now, I thought we should have the full Hollywood experience for PJ's birthday. So, I got us tickets to a taping of Jimmy Kimmel Live.

I was keeping my plans a secret from PJ, so he wasn't sure where we were going when we arrived at Hollywood and Highland (the famous touristy place in Hollywood where the Kodak theater --think Oscars,---and the Chinese theater---think hand and footprints, and walk of fame and all that is) and there were THRONGS of teenagers lining the streets, SCREAMING and FREAKING OUT. It turns out that night was the premiere of the Jonas Brothers new 3-D concert movie at the El Capitan theater, right next door to Kimmel. PJ looked at me and asked, "You got me tickets to the Jonas Brothers?" Right. Like he would really appreciate their music surrounded by a thousand teeny-bopper girls weeping with joy.

After we braved the crowds and got turned away at the door and told we needed to go around to the back ALLEY for Kimmel, we waited in line for nearly 90 minutes until they opened the doors to the theater and we were seated in the audience. It was a fun show: Don Rickles was there, as well as Regis Philbin. They also taped a segment with Rob Lowe for the next night's show and we all had to pretend it was Wednesday for about 15 minutes. Then after the show, we went to the lobby where they taped a band performing two songs and we were the concert audience---which will air in the next few weeks. I can't remember the band's name....sorry.

After the show, we went looking for a bite to eat. After trying a steak house that was too pricey, followed by this Mexican dive that looked promising but was closed, we settled on spring rolls and the Great Wall of Chocolate at P.F. Chang's. I know, I know, it's a chain, but the cake was DELISH! For gifts, PJ received two ties (he loves new ties, go figure!) and a cool Shutterfly photo book from me, as well as the As-Seen-On-TV IRON GYM from my parents.

Look at how ripped he is already!

I would definitely say the night was a success. Getting away from the children was a treat in and of itself....

5 comments:

Erin said...

Have you ever tried the dessert spring rolls there? They are soooooo good, but I mistakenly or thankfully (not sure which) looked up the nutritional information online and haven't ordered them since.

Wow, I need to get one of those cool doorframe things over here!

Sounds like a great night!

Anonymous said...

Wow, PJ, those are some abs! :-)

Trishelle said...

You got them!! Yahooo!! I'm so glad you made it happen! You are such an awesome wife!

Heather said...

What a fun date. And I have to tell you, I laughed out loud at the thought of you and PJ at a Jonas Brother's premiere.

CLARK JOHNSEN said...

Good job Shelly!! That sounds really fun, and it was probably heightened by having it all be a surprise. That is so great. It would have been hilarious to subject him to a night of screaming 13 year olds... well, there's always next year for that?!?